Tottenham midfielder Eric Dier has been given a four-match ban and fined £40,000 for climbing over seats to confront a fan after a match in March.
The incident happened after Spurs were knocked out of the FA Cup at home by Norwich. The Football Association ban rules the 26-year-old out of all but one of Tottenham’s remaining Premier League fixtures. Dier has also been warned about his future conduct by the FA. A statement said: “The Tottenham player admitted that his actions at the conclusion of a fixture against Norwich City in the FA Cup were improper but denied that they were also threatening. An independent regulatory commission subsequently found Eric Dier’s actions to be threatening.” The incident occurred on 4 March in the fifth-round tie following a penalty shootout in which Dier scored, but Spurs eventually lost. Speaking at the time, Spurs manager Jose Mourinho said a fan had insulted Dier after the game. Dier, saw his brother was being abused by a fan and raced to his aid. There was no physical exchange and the matter was not pursued by the Metropolitan Police after a brief investigation.
Jose Mourinho has defended his player on the matter from the off. He recently said that he did not expect Dier to receive any punishment after the FA chose not to sanction Arsenal’s Matteo Guendouzi for grabbing Brighton striker Neal Maupay around the neck. Dier’s absence will be a blow for Spurs in their pursuit of European football next season as he has been an impressive performer in central defence since the season restarted last month. Spurs travel to Bournemouth on Thursday and face North London rivals Arsenal at home on Sunday.